Whether your home office is a space for running a business, a remote workspace, or a corner for paying bills, you deserve more than a small desk and chair.
Why? A home office reflects the comfort and design of the rest of your home and is a place you’ll want to feel productive.
Today, more people are working from home. With this new trend, the need for contemporary home office furniture sets has never been more popular. If you work from home, whether it’s for two or six hours, and are concerned about motivation and comfort, there are plenty of office desks and chairs that could transform your ordinary room into a productive hub.
If you are having trouble deciding on the right set for your home, read on to explore a few ideas that will help you create the perfect working environment for your needs.
Essential Things to Consider in Your Office Design
A redesign of your home office can inspire and re-energize you. Everyone has their own needs and requirements, but a few things can help you narrow down your choices when choosing new home office furniture.
Even though your old desk or kitchen table tucked into a corner of your house is an excellent place to start your work-at-home adventure, you will want to have an office set up that supports your work as time passes.
The ideal space should be free from distractions, including loud TVs or kitchen appliances. If you are meeting clients in your office, you will want a separate room close to the front door but away from your living space.
Comfortable Office Chair
An essential consideration for your office design is your chair. Whether you are into oak home office furniture sets or metal sets, having a comfortable chair is necessary. Back pain is one of the main drawbacks of sitting for prolonged periods, especially if you are working in front of the laptop for hours. For example, the Lorell Conjure Executive High-back Mesh Back Chair is an excellent, affordable chair for any home office.
There are some home office furniture items you can cut corners on, but a chair shouldn’t be one of them.
Set Up for Function
Although getting up, changing position, and moving is a healthy thing to do when working, it can interrupt your concentration and slow your productivity. For home office furniture sets you use often, you will want to design an office that allows quick and easy access. If, for example, you have many books, documents, and planners, you’ll want filing cabinets close to your desk to place your things.
If your office requires more devices, you’ll want to set up the furniture so that the devices are within your reach. Whether you are into small home office furniture sets or larger ones, they should efficiently accommodate your work.
Decorate to Motivate and Inspire
Working from home can sometimes be tedious and monotonous. A dull home office furniture set can sap your energy, making it impossible to work. When deciding between home office furniture sets, it is essential to pick one that inspires and motivates you.
Try painting your office in your favorite color. If you are into classic and elegant designs, oak home office furniture sets are the perfect option. If you are more into industrial designs, a metal desk might be a better choice.
You can hang posters or pictures on the walls to decorate the room. You can also add a vision board, inspiring quotes, or images of your family to boost your inspiration while working.
Consider Your Budget
Decorating a home office is fun, but you don’t want to overspend on items you don’t need or aren’t using often. Even though you don’t want to sacrifice your productivity and comfort, it is a good idea to be economical, at least in the beginning. Make a plan; see what inventory you already have in your home and establish what you’ll be able to use for your home office.
If you have a functional laptop, hold off on buying a new one. If you need new furniture, check out the office collections online, keeping an eye out for sales on durable desks and comfortable chairs.
How to Choose the Right Desk
Choosing a desk that meets all your working needs requires you to answer a few questions:
- Do you use a laptop or computer?
- How much surface do you need?
- Do you need additional storage space?
If your work consists of working on a desktop computer, consider choosing an office desk with enough space for the monitor, keyboard, printer, scanner, and additional devices. If your work involves a lot of paperwork, a large desk will be more useful. Consider additional storage solutions that make working a breeze, such as a desk that incorporates bookcases or cabinets.
Desk by Shape
Space considerations play a crucial role when choosing home office furniture sets. Think about how the desk shape will fit in your dedicated workspace.
- Regular desks are available in many sizes, and you can place them in almost any corner or room.
- Corner desks provide plenty of legroom and surface area but are relatively smaller, making them perfect for compact homes and limited spaces.
- Credenza desks are suitable for living or dining rooms (if you are limited in space). They are good options for those who don’t have a separate office room.
Desk by Material
Different materials help you express your style. Oak home office furniture sets, for example, provide a timeless look, while glass or metal ones have a clean, modern, minimalist vibe.
- Wood is a versatile choice. It is available in different colors and patterns, making it easy to adapt to any room of your home.
- Glass desks are becoming more popular. For those who are into modern home office furniture sets, a glass desk is an excellent option. The material’s transparency reflects the light and opens the space, making the room feel brighter and bigger.
- Metal desks give your home office an industrial look. Metal desks pair well with dark woods and modern furniture and are resistant to scratches, durable, and require minimal maintenance.
Consider Every Angle
When choosing home office furniture sets, many people consider ergonomics a key factor for functionality and comfort. Ergonomics is the process of designing and adapting workplaces so they fit the people who use them. For a work desk, ergonomics features include:
- Monitor position – A monitor should be at least 20-30 inches from your eyes.
- Worksurface – The items you use often should be within your reach.
- Keyboard height – For some, a keyboard on top of the desk may be too high. Select a home office suite furniture set that includes a desk with a pull-out keyboard shelf to place your keyboard.
While your taste in decor and personal style will determine the office desk you choose, remember to think about functionality, space, and ergonomics to ensure the desk meets all of your needs.
How to Choose the Right Chair
Home office furniture sets usually consist of a desk and chair. Some people choose the set based on the desk design, while others start from the chair.
Here are some of the different types of office chairs to consider:
- Task chair – The classic office chair with a cushioned seat and back and armrests on the side.
- Ergonomic chair – An upgraded version of the task chair, with adaptable features that customize lumbar support, depth, and height.
- Reception chair – If you aren’t spending a lot of time in your home office, a reception chair might be a good option. The reception chairs feature contemporary design and bold colors.
- Executive chair – Executive chairs are a great addition to modern and larger office spaces. They feature a high back and are more expensive than other chairs.
- Folding chair – If you have limited space, folding office chairs are an excellent solution.
- Drafting chair – Perfect for those who spend a lot of time in front of computers (architects, web designers, and more).
Getting the Best Value
Of course, you will also want to consider the price of the furniture you are buying, there are options for all budgets. Besides the up front cost of the items you are buying, consider the reputation of the company you are shopping with. However unlikely, if there’s a problem with your furniture you will be glad you chose a company with good customer service.
Likewise, since furniture is often so heavy and bulky, finding a seller who offers free shipping can end up saving you a lot of money. Just check the terms and conditions to make sure return shipping is also covered in the event of a defect. Lastly, you’ll want to double check on the expected shipping date, as many international supply chains have recently been disrupted, many retailers are taking months to fulfill orders. Be sure you do your research to get a good value without waiting ages.
Buying Home Office Furniture Sets
A home office furniture set can determine your office’s look and feel and impact your work productivity. Modern home office furniture sets can make an excellent impression on clients or partners. Furnishings of contemporary and modern style can make your home office feel clean and lead to better productivity while you work from home.
Oak home office furniture sets are more sturdy and durable and can adapt to any home decor, whether it is classic, rustic, country, or Scandinavian. Small home office furniture sets are ideal for smaller homes with limited space. You can add these sets to the corner of your living room or your bedroom without sacrificing comfort or functionality.
You want your office space to be functional and presentable, and it is essential to select your home office furniture set based on your dedicated workspace, budget, and needs.
Spend time designing your space and creating a budget before choosing a furniture set. With the right considerations and ideas, you will find yourself in an efficient, comfortable, and stylish home office.